LINKS TO OTHER PERINATAL DATASETS
This section contains useful online resources to inform the debate on the wording of questions and answers - please help us build up and maintain this list of links. See also Hand Held Records and Perinatal Paperwork. For general datasets not specifically applicable in perinatal care, see our related WISDAM website.
Rupert Fawdry's detailed work on datasets
For links to hand-held records (e.g. Perinatal Notes, Scottish & Welsh records) go to Hand Held Records
NHS National Maternity & Children's Dataset
The Health & Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) came into being on 1st April 2013. It has responsibility for the Maternity & Children's Datasets. We have already noticed (4th April 2013) that several of the relevant links on the new HSCIC website are broken.
According to the Maternity Dataset homepage (4 April 2013):
The maternity data set provides national standards for data from Maternity healthcare providers in England. It reflects key information captured from any patient using a maternity service. This data set standard will be used both locally and nationally to generate 'secondary uses' information - that is, a purpose other than direct clinical care - to nationally defined standards.
To make it easier to trace the version history of the Maternity Services Secondary Uses Dataset (MSDS) and related documents, we're listing them here.
- System Conformance Checklist v1.4 (20 February 2013), which is still labelled version 1.3
- Change Request 1104 (10 May 2012) Change to Data Standards
- Output Specification Reference Data Set v0.5 (20 April 2012)
- Output specification Phase-1 Data Set v1.2 (16 March 2012)
- Data Mapping Pro Forma v1.2 (16 March 2012)
- Maternity Services Secondary Uses Data Set (MSDS) User Guidance v1.3 (May 2011)
- Output specification Phase-1 Data Set v1.1 (25 March 2011)
- System Conformance Checklist v1.3 (1 March 2011)
- Output specification Phase-1 Data Set v1.0 (10 January 2011)
- Full operational standard v1.1 (3 September 2010)
The MSDS focuses on output. The old NHS Information Centre 2012 implementation guidance page stated that
"The Maternity Services Secondary Uses Data Set defines an output standard, which is to be compiled from existing clinical records to enable monthly submissions to a central data warehouse. It does not represent a definitive list of data items and values which may need to be captured for care delivery, merely a subset to which local data should be mapped for national submission and analysis purposes. NHS Services will have the flexibility to adopt any local data collection process and employ whichever IT system that is capable of extracting data in accordance with the output specification."
The MSDS draft submission was approved by the Information Standards Board for Health and Social Care in March 2010, despite several reservations. It was noted that "There is a lack of evidence of consultation with commissioners. This may mean a lack of acceptance of the need to implement the standard."
The MSDS obtained approval from the Information Standards Board in January 2011, conditional on obtaining a confirmation of commitment to funding. The Review of Central Returns (ROCR) burden of the MSDS was reported as 2.86 person years and £382,445. The Information Standards Notice (ISN) to mandate local implementation of the standard was published in May 2012.
- see also
West Midlands Maternity Core Dataset
The Obstetric Anaesthetists' Association National Obstetric Anaesthetic Database (NOAD)
NHS Data Model & Dictionary Service
Child & Adolescent Mental Health National CAMHS Dataset: Data Dictionary - Version 1.1 (2005)
- SMR02 Maternity Inpatient and Day Case
- NN4B NHS Numbers for Babies
- Maternity System Specification Version 5.1 (undated). Data quality control point: although the title page and footer of this document say 5.1, the header still says 5.0
- Department of Health (2012)
- International Classification of Diseases ICD-10 Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O99) O00-O9A
- MEASURE Evaluation PRH Family Planning and Reproductive Health Indicators Database. Aimed particularly at "the two-thirds world." According to the website,
"The indicator descriptions presented herein are designed to promote standardization of definitions and concepts among the international RH community. Whereas standardization is useful, organizations should adapt indicators to their specific circumstances. This approach not only ensures that the indicators are relevant to the organization in question, but promotes ownership of the monitoring and evaluation process. However, organizations that choose to adapt (modify) indicators should clearly state the new definitions and methods of measurement."
- UNHCR Health Information System Reference Manual - Antenatal Care, Delivery Care, Postnatal Care, Family Planning
Alphabetical by Country/Region
AFRICA - GENERAL
- Maternity Information Matrix (MIM)
- Australian Perinatal NMDS 2011-2012
- New South Wales Perinatal Data Collection Manual 2011 (PDF file)
- Northern Territory Pregnancy Care Record - find out more here
- Queensland Perinatal Data Collection 2009-2010 Instruction Manual (PDF file)
- Victorian Perinatal Data Collection
- British Columbia Perinatal Data Set
- Newfoundland & Labrador Provincial Perinatal Surveillance Program
EUROPE - GENERAL
- Collège National des Gynécologues et Obstétriciens Français (CNGOF) & Association des Utilisateurs de Dossiers Informatisés en Périnatologie,Obstétrique et Gynécologie(AUDIPOG) FRANCE PERINAT (in French) - see particularly the Annexe, which lists the core headings in a chronological sequence. Download full document as PDF
- Cahier des charges des logiciels en périnatalogie (2007)
- Perinatal files (downloadable paper forms)
- Evolution of the AUDIPOG files (in English)
LATIN AMERICA - GENERAL
- Latin American Center for Perinatology Perinatal Clinical Record
- March of Dimes Peristats
- New York State
- Guidelines for the New York State Certificate of Live Birth (PDF file) - used in conjunction with the Statewide Perinatal Data System (SPDS) to "guide the entry of the information from hospital and physician records and notes into the New York State Certificate of Live Birth."
- Finger Lakes Region Perinatal Data System (FLR PDS) Data Dictionary (PDF file)
- Washington State Perinatal Collaborative Reducing Elective Delivery Before 39 Weeks data dictionaries and data collection tool
- Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Forms, cards, data items, codes for punched card system
Hand Held Records
- ↑ [Minutes of Information Standards Board meeting 24 March 2010, Item 7]
- ↑ [ibid., Item 7.3.1
- ↑ Minutes of Information Standards Board meeting 26 January 2011, Item 7
- ↑ Minutes of Information Standards Board meeting 30 March 2011, Item 4.1